“BACKLINK” you must have heard about this word many times in the world of internet and more specifically when it comes about SEO (Search Engine Optimization) the Backlink becomes the hottest topic to be discussed.
The newbies at the blogging world often struggle to understand what the term “backlink” actually means and how is it important for blogging.
In this post, I hope to offer you an understanding of what backlinks are, why they are essential to SEO, and why they are important for your online presence and success.
Let’s dive in and get started…
To get started with it, a simple discussion about a backlink is that it is simply webpage link to any other page that came to called as a backlink. Earlier it was seen that a page with lots of backlinks tended to rank higher on all major search engines, including Google. And this is still true to a large extent in the world of Search Engine Optimization.
Here are some of the common terms related to backlinks:
Here is a glossary of common terms related to backlinks that you should know:
- “Link Juice” is a slang term referring to how powerful a certain link (within a site or from one website to another) is or could be. When a webpage links to any of your articles or your website’s homepage, it passes “link juice”. This link juice helps with the ranking of the article, and also improves the domain authority. As a blogger, you can stop passing link juice by using a no-follow tag.
- No-Follow Link: When a website links to another website, but the link has a no-follow tag, that link does not pass link juice. No-follow links are not useful concerning the ranking of a page as they do not contribute anything. In general, a webmaster uses the no-follow tag when he/she is linking out to an unreliable site.
- Do-Follow Link: By default, all the links that you add to a blog post are do-follow links and these pass link juice.
- Linking Root Domains: This refers to the number of backlinks coming into your website from a unique domain. Even if a website has linked to your website ten times, it will only be considered as one linked root domain.
- Low-Quality Links: Low-quality links are links that come from harvested sites, automated sites, spam sites, or even porn sites. Such links do far more harm than good. This is one reason you should be careful when buying backlinks.
- Internal Links: Links that are going from one page to another within the same domain are called internal links. The process itself is referred to as internal linking or interlinking.
- Anchor Text: Text that is used for hyperlinks is called anchor text. Anchor text backlinks work great when you are trying to rank for particular keywords.
Importance of backlinks in SEO:
Before we go into the discussion of how backlinks are important for SEO you should know what all changes took place in the last few years in terms of backlinking process.
There was a time when even low-quality links helped in ranking a site. But ever since Google rolled out its Penguin algorithm, the whole landscape of backlinking has changed.
It is important to have backlinks from quality sites, and those backlinks should be contextual. If, for example, you have a site about dogs, and you are creating links from other niche sites about fish, these links will be of no use. Your goal should be to get links from authoritative and relevant sites.
Now let’s take a look at why it is important for you to create backlinks to your site:
1. Improves Organic Ranking
Backlinks help in getting better search engine rankings.
If any of your content is getting organic links from other sites, that content will naturally rank higher with search engines.
Your goal should be to create links to individual posts/pages along with those leading to your homepage.
2. Faster Indexing
Backlinks help search engine bots discover links to your site and crawl your site effectively.
Especially for a new website, it is important to get backlinks as they help in the faster discovery and indexing of your site.
3. Referral Traffic
One of the major benefits of backlinks is that they help get referral traffic.
How to start getting backlinks:
So now you understand what the term “backlink” means as it relates to SEO and why they’re important. Let’s now learn a few simple techniques for generating backlinks to your site.
1. Write awesome articles
This is the best and simplest way to get backlinks for your blog.
If you write awesome articles, people will naturally link to them.
2. Start guest blogging
Guest blogging is an excellent, and free way to get backlinks. Start guest blogging on blogs in your niche.
Guest blogging helps you to get solid one-way backlinks as well as more traffic and better search engine visibility.
3. Submit to web directories
Submitting your blog to web directories is another easy way to get backlinks.
With that said, this method is not very popular these days because finding a legal web directory is not easy. You must especially avoid those web directories that ask you to create a backlink to their website to get your website into their directory.
- Read: More Exclusive List of Websites & Directories To Submit Your Blog
- Read: 55+ Manually Verified Free Blog Directories To Submit Your Blog
If you find the information in this post useful, please share it with your friends and colleagues on Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus. Also if you have questions feel free to drop in the comments box and ill be ready to answer your queries.